Any time an organization or an individual applies for a patent, the application is subjected to a patentability search. But, for practical reasons, searches completed by patent office examiners are simply not exhaustive. As a result, patents may be granted despite the existence of prior art that, if found, can be used to deem the patent invalid.
A patent invalidity (validity / opposition) search conducted by TPR can provide powerful strategic leverage when your business’s products, practices, or patented intellectual property is on the line. Whether your company has been threatened or sued for patent infringement, or a competitor has been granted a patent that blocks your use of that technology and is standing in your way, an effective search by TPR’s team of search experts can help clear the legal obstacles in your path.
Benefits of a Validity, Invalidity Search
- Prevent the payment of significant damages that would result from losing an infringement lawsuit
- Validate soon-to-be-acquired IP investments during a merger or acquisition
- Reduce scrutiny on your company’s own portfolio
- Clear legal obstacles by removing a competitor’s patent
Resources, Coverage and Foreign Language Options
TPR will utilize the resources and approach most effective for the given technology and budget which can include:
- Online databases for patent and non-patent literature
- Classification-based searching
- On-site searching at patent offices, libraries, universities, conferences, special research institutions, and other resources world-wide for example in Europe, Japan, China, South America, etc.
- Special coding/indexing when applicable (i.e. sequence, chemical structures. polymers)
- Phone investigations
TPR can search domestic and/or worldwide patent and non-patent literature to any extent depending on your invalidity/validity objective.
Learn more about resources covered ›